[extropy-chat] brain scans for racial attitudes

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 18 03:59:05 UTC 2003

From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 1:31 PM

> --- Damien Broderick <thespike at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Or not:
> >
> > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/17/1069027045722.html
> >
> > < The scientist who led the research said she was stunned when she
> > saw the results. "I was shocked. I couldn't believe we got this
> > correspondence with the brain activity," said Jennifer Richeson,
> > a neuroscientist at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire.
>
> Of course they have trouble accepting it. If it holds water, then the
> lefties will have to admit that racism is a genetic artifact, or
> perhaps a disease, just like homosexuality, alcoholism, and drug
> addiction, and therefore not the fault of the individual, not something
> they can 'choose'.

It is immaterial whether the racist individual can or cannot "choose" to be
a racist.  And in a somewhat similar (yet somewhat different) vein, the
reason Asians, blacks and other so-called "minorities" are entitled to equal
treatment is because they *are* equal, and not because they cannot "choose"
who they are (an obnoxious notion, which presupposes that if a member of a
"minority" could change their "race" - they would).

IMO comparing racism to homophobia could easily put one on a road that
warns:  "slippery slope ahead."

> Perhaps the racist may be justified in applying for
> welfare disability payments if their racism impacts their ability to
> keep a job...

Even if this is meant to be humorous, it is egregious balderdash.

> Hate crimes, of course, could no longer impart more severe
> sentences if the perpetrators cannot help themselves.

There are all kinds of "hate crimes," and I would hope they're not tolerated
(e.g., at the workplace, in school) in a civilized society because
mean-spiritedness is not conducive to carry on the business at hand, whether
the unpleasantries are "perpetrated" against women, men, "minorities," or
what have you.  Sorry, I say - the perps will just have to learn better
manners if they cannot help themselves.

As to other more serious crimes, the fact that a sociopath like Ted Bundy
"couldn't help himself" and therefore went on a murder rampage ... doesn't
excuse him, does it?

> Odd when one
> liberal prejudice smacks head on into another one.

I don't understand how you've come to this conclusion.

Olga