[extropy-chat] possible new record prime

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 06:28:46 UTC 2003

Oh my, November is a wonderful month.  The GIMPS project
has had a report of a hit, a new record prime, which
will be the 40th Mersenne prime.

It now hasta be verified of course, but I thought I
would give you a heads up.  Last spring you may recall
we had a false alarm, but the bug that caused it has
been fixed, so in a couple weeks the old champaign
corks will be popping.  Or beer cans popping, depending
on one's choice of libation.  According to my calcs,
it should be somewhere in the late 6 million digit range
or thereabouts, maybe early 7s.

Ahhhh, life is gooooood.  {8-]