[extropy-chat] Harv's Explanation for Slow Progress

Wed Nov 19 12:50:01 UTC 2003

Emlyn O'regan wrote,
> Who's going to bet on the singularity occuring at any given
> date? Either it doesn't happen, and you lose, or it does
> happen, and the bet is irrelevant. Drawing on a post of
> Eliezer's in the last day or two, it's like betting on the
> end of the world.

Oh ye of little imagination.

How about this scenario:  I immediately pay a large sum to the
singularitian.  The day after the predicted singularity date, they pay me
back my money plus a large sum of their own.

Any takers?

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,