[extropy-chat] Harv's Explanation for Slow Progress

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 06:41:00 UTC 2003

> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Harv's Explanation for Slow Progress

> Somebody practical enough to make an impartially verifiable
> prediction based on real judgement and who thinks the singularity
> does not means the end of the world.  Do you know anyone like
> that?   Regards, Brett

Im with the crowd who think the singularity need not
mean the end of the world, only the end of the world
as we have known it.

In some ways we mighta been better off using the term
event horizon for the singularity, or perhaps Damien's
term, the Spike.  In black hole terminology, the
(astronomical) singularity is where all the stuff is
concentrated.  Crashing into that is definitely the
end of the world.  But there is an event horizon way out
there before you reach the (astronomical) singularity.
An observer can cross an event horizon and not realize
anything untoward has occurred, assuming that event
horizon is waaaay far away from the (astronomical)
singularity so that the gravitational gradient is not
too severe.

In futurology, once AIs surpass human intelligence
and can self organize, it is impossible to forecast
what will happen, because we are inherently not smart
enough.  We can't do it any more than our dogs can
predict what we will do.  But one can imagine a
singularity that is completely transparent to humans:
we simply become sentient simulations in our sleep.

I expect the post singularity world will be way cool.