[extropy-chat] The Consensus

Alex Ramonsky alex at ramonsky.com
Sun Nov 30 02:20:26 UTC 2003

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

>  But one would have to ask why any intelligent transhumanist
>would be doing in areas that potentially pose such high risk factors?
>Living or working in such high risk areas seems to be counter-productive
>to the idea that one wants to extend ones potential lifespan.
>
>I personally moved from San Francisco to Seattle because I did not
>like the earthquake risk in S.F.  That was before it was generally
>known what the earthquake risks were in Seattle (so my strategy
>was somewhat flawed).  It would be logical for transhumanists
>to seek out the safest possible places to live and that would
>include places that have minimal instances of violent crimes
>as well as natural hazards.

...He's not telling you you can dodge bullets...he's telling you you
don't have to.  :  )
I have always wondered this...why do smart people hang out in dangerous
areas?? I know with 100% certainty that I won't be attacked in my local
city centre at night because I don't go there. Ever.
 Yeh I know, you're gonna say I should have the right to go there if I
want to without being molested...but why would I want to?  ...For what?
An idiot zone is for idiots. There's nothing there for people like me.
We used to color-code the county maps according to how dodgy an area
was. When we got to places with actual armed conflict we just wrote
'Mordor'.  :  )
AR
AR