[extropy-chat] again with the gun stats

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sun Nov 30 22:40:03 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damien Broderick" <thespike at earthlink.net>
To: "Damien Broderick" <thespike at earthlink.net>; "ExI chat list"
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] again with the gun stats

> I wrote hurriedly:
>
> > < During the 10 months to January 31, there were 939 crimes involving
> > firearms in the Metropolitan Police area compared with 322 in the 10
> months
> > to the end of January, 2001 - an almost three-fold increase. >
> >
> > Wow! From 300+ to <1000! Shocking.
> >
> > Note that these are not [all] deaths. How does this compare with some
> other places
> > of comparable size? Inner London in 2001: 2,765,975, so maybe roughly
> > equivalent of US population would be 94,000 armed crimes
>
> A tad more tells me:
>
> http://www.met.police.uk/about/index.htm
>
> < Today, the Metropolitan Police Service employs 29,278 officers, 11,368
> police staff, 609 traffic wardens and 865 Police Community Support
Officers
> (PCSOs), and, since the realignment of police boundaries in April 2000, it
> covers an area of 620 square miles and a population of 7.2million.
> (figures updated: August 2003) >
>
> So maybe the more accurate comparison with the US data would be an
> equivalent of 36,600 armed crimes (cf. 533,000, or roughly one fifteenth),
> if I've done my rough and ready add-ups right.
>
> The Brits on the list will surely know in better detail.

And it should be pointed out that an increasing amount of gun crime is
attributed to de-activated replicas, which are legal.
Chances are, in Britain, that if you face a gun in a crime it is not real.

Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millennium
http://www.theconsensus.org