[extropy-chat] SPACE: Back to the Moon (?)

JAY DUGGER duggerj1 at charter.net
Thu Oct 30 22:54:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:28:06 -0800 (PST)
  Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Firstly, regolith is dirt/sand in consistency, not rock.
>You apply it
>with something like a snowblower, and you get it off with
>the same plus
>a broom. (Lunar Sanitation Engineers Guild Local 001
>Trainee Manual,
>Care of Antique Lunar Modules for Idiots).

I don't know much lunar geology. Won't regolith
composition vary greatly over the surface? I can see this
holding true some places. There it might be a little
sweeping to place and remove the stuff.

>Secondly, leaks occur in space modules due to
>micrometeorite impacts,
>primarily, along with radiation induced metal fatigue,
>both of which
>regolith will mitigate.

Welds don't fail, I suppose? Metal never fatigues due to
mechanical stress, from launch or temperature variation?
Such failure might not happen very often, but help lies
far away.

>Thirdly, since the pressure is on the inside and vacuum
>is on the
>outside, the proper place to fix any leak is on the
>inside.

I'd feel much safer with a patch on _both_ sides of a hole
and sealant between the two layers, but I have no
experience with repairing pressure chambers and so admit
ignorance.

Jay Dugger     :     Til Eulenspiegel
http://www.owlmirror.net/~duggerj
Sometimes delete serves best.