[extropy-chat] MARS: Because it is hard

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 02:47:54 UTC 2004

> Robert J. Bradbury
>
> Here is an interesting idea -- instead of using the Earth's moon
> as the staging base for the exploration of Mars -- what about using
> one of the Mars moons?  Spike -- what is the energy cost differential
> of going to a Mars moon instead of our moon?
>
> Robert

The Mars satellites have a big advantage: they are so
small, their gravity wells are practically negligible.  Recall
that to land on an airless body requires fuel both to land
and to take off again.

If we use Phobos and Deimos as staging areas, we
could still park stuff on the surface and use materials
from there.  The use of our moon as a staging area for Mars
exploration is the wrong answer methinks.