[extropy-chat] MARS: Because it is hard

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 23:50:02 UTC 2004

Well, assuming we want to disassemble the planets, but a number of
people want to remain corporeal in an acceleration gradient, having a
couple Mars sized bodies orbiting each other would maximize living
surface, minimize delta v, while giving each other enough tidal stress
to accurately replicate Earth-style tectonics and resource
sequestration.

Such habitats would last a lot longer than some O'Neil style colonies
in a dark-ages state (could happen) without caretakers looking after
things (a la Ringworld Engineers).

Yeah, it 'wastes' tons of resources. Why can't you use a planets
resource in situ for computation without having to disassemble it? Why
do you have to disassemble a planet in the first place? With all the
hyperthermophilic bacteria found many miles deep in recent years, I
think we need to seriously reconsider our whole rationale for planet
disassembly in the first place. If worlds have hot cores, those are
heat sources useful to power computation just as much as a star inside
a matrioshka brain.

Why go out, when we can go in?

=====
Mike Lorrey