[extropy-chat] Wearable Camera Etiquette

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sat Apr 17 19:16:13 UTC 2004

On Apr 15, 2004, at 4:41 PM, Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. wrote:

> Some sort of ID  has to incorporated into or broadcast from each
> individual
> /thing and
> the recording devices must seek out a "tag"  for these pieces of
> information
> or they will record
> the data faithfully, but simply modify the regurgitation with privacy
> protocals.  Authorities may have an override on these protocals for law
> enforcement uses.

In which case "the authorities" have an unprecedented level of
surveillance and control over the people.   This is of course the
danger.

> Consider the ways already used to selectively filter unauthorized use
> of
> information by simply reducing the quality or resolution of the reused
> output.
>
> -The blurring of television  images of faces within otherwise normal
> video.
> -The garbeling of voices from whom privacy is requested
> -The introduction of low resolution/scrambling  into GPS signals for
> civilian use.
>
> Yes you will be able to record everything, but you may not be able to
> show
> it in any usable fashion
> without permission tags from those whose information you recorded.

Why should we not consider the blurring of our senses and even
limitations of our computational abilities as an attack?

> Printed matter with RFID tags in the book binding  would refuse to
> convert
> to text or be re-broadcast in a readable fashion unless the recording
> system
> sensed a permission for free use
> signal............etc

In short all power would be in the hands of those who would set limits?
  As Lessig points out, current technology gives unprecedented power
beyond the reach of normal legislative process to those who would
enshrine in code and hardware there own, mostly financial, interests in
controlling information and uses of information far beyond what the
people and their representatives have agreed is reasonable and far
beyond what is actually conducive to maximal well-being.

- samantha