[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Re: PRIVACY: GPS darts [liquid crystals]

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 21 22:53:38 UTC 2004

Somebody on some other list wrote:
> Stew, lots of discussion on extropy-chat about antenna size, power
> requirements, chip size, etc.  Here are some snippets:
>
> This has to be a spoof.

One of the spoofers explained the whole thing on the radio program "The Next
Big Thing" a few weeks back. In sort of a performance art thing they wanted
to create the most frightening weapon they could think of. Being dutch
neo-hippies, they came up with the GPS-chip gun, because having your
movements tracked by the government is so much worse than a bullet through
the head.

Anyway, they faked their way into a weapons trade convention in China. Their
spokesman spent three days there stoned senseless describing his imaginary
weapon to somewhat sceptical prospective buyers and expecting at any moment
to be caught out as a fraud. A Chinese government representative expressed
some interest. The spokesman said that there could be human rights issues
and the gov't rep said they could move the manufacturing to China--no
problem.

As far as I know, nobody has checked to see if the convention actually
existed or if the guy actually went. But if you want to hear more details,
the interview is probably available at the Next Big Thing website.

Bill
--
William Jacobs
Freelance Researcher and Science Journalist

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program