[extropy-chat] The problem of politics and voting [excerpted from "Cyronics Without.."]

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Thu Apr 22 20:15:30 UTC 2004

Since we are not likely to get broadly more intelligent people without
some technology much more controversial with "average voters" and
politicians than cyronics is,  I don't believe we can afford to indulge
in such wishes.   Nor do I believe we can afford to spend a lot of time
attempting to dumb things down to get mass appeal.   To the extent we
engage in politics at all it seems much more reasonable to seek to rein
in the power of the government  to regulate or even prohibit various
advanced technologies and the freedom of individuals to make use of
these technologies.

If we instead fight a technology by technology battle we sanction the
fundamental premise that government and/or the majority of our fellows
have the right to limit our freedom to better ourselves and to live
longer or have a chance of living again.   The fundamental premise that
government has the right to so restrict us is left unchallenged.   We
leave the fulcrum in place then wonder why it is so hard to stop the
advance of the business end of the social-governmental lever.

Regulatory committees of experts beyond the reach of the voting public
are not exactly an unalloyed or incorruptible benefit either.   There
is little or no ability to call such a committee to task.  Many such
bodies even end up with their own law making, law enforcement and
judicial boards outside of normal safeguards protecting the freedom of
the people including the freedom to invent, deploy and use new
technology.

- samantha