[extropy-chat] CRYO: A smart cryonaut investment?

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Fri Apr 23 02:01:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Stephen J. Van Sickle commenting on my comments
regarding radioactive decontamination wrote:

> Why bother?  The contamination even now is so low that there seems to be
> little or no effect on the natural environment, and any long term
> effects on humans (or posthumans) should be trivial to handle.

Well, I was commenting on Mike's suggestion that purchasing land
in the "dead" zone might be a reasonable investment.  The current
contamination is high enough that it does keep people out of the zone.
Yes, you are right -- the long term effects can probably be dealt
with.  But it is the time between now and when we can deal with them
that is open to discussion.

This is a singularity issue -- What problems can we deal with today
(perhaps if we really wanted to)?  What problems can we only deal
with in 15-20 years?  And what problems will probably require 50
years of technological development to solve?

Understanding and having estimates for the answers to those questions
is something I think most people looking at cryonics do not currently
have.  Thus it makes their plans for the future a highly inexact
situation.

Robert