[extropy-chat] [SALT] The DEpopulation Problem, this Friday (for forwarding)

Patrick Wilken Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Wed Aug 11 14:39:24 UTC 2004

On 11 Aug 2004, at 16:15, BillK wrote:
> These projections come from the U.S. Census Bureau and are pretty
> reliable.
> And yes, the USA is projected to increase in population. They don't
> really know why the US is different. Suggestions??

Where is the growth rate occurring? With immigrant families?

> See my post of 4th August on this subject, where I commented -
> Looks like the US just has to continue as normal and wait for
> the rest of the world to dwindle away over the next 50 years.

You mean the Europe, Australasia, Japan and a few other countries. Not
the rest of the World. I think you'll find that China and India and
Latin America are growing just fine. And so would Africa if it wasn't'
devastated by AIDS.

And just not to be too picky. Australia's population, for instance, is
still growing. We are just achieving it by immigration. So hopefully
we'll avoid or at least mitigate some of the problems countries like
Germany are going to suffer in the short-to-medium term as the result
of their restrictive immigration stance. Its an interesting strategy
really: save all that fuss and bother on spending on education, just
ship them in once they are ready to work!

best, patrick