[extropy-chat] Real Extropians don't drive SUVs

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Aug 19 20:43:22 UTC 2004

> Does Mount Hamilton Road/San Antonio Valley Road, in
> mid-California, count?  (Also known as Route 130.)  I
> took that from Del Puerto Canyon Road all the way
> past Mount Hamilton and Lick Observatory to San Jose
> (Alum Rock Avenue, at least) in my Prius.  Rough and
> winding and at high speed (I think I averaged around
> 40; it felt safe enough once I got the hang of it at
> low speed), and I wouldn't dare do it in a high
> center of gravity SUV.

Ummm... SUVs don't spontaneously rollover under normal road conditions,
they are only more likely to roll over under certain adverse
circumstances.  Just like guns don't spontaneously shoot people.

Other than being very windy, the road in question is quite tame and easy
to drive safely.  I've even taken the previously mentioned Bronco up it
a few times, which has a true off-road suspension system making it even
more susceptible to rollover, and did not have any problems.  Definitely
not ideal, but perfectly safe if I don't try to keep up with every
low-CG sedan that flies by.

Obviously I would take that road slower in a Bronco than an expensive
sports sedan because that is smart -- I am familiar with the operating
parameters of both vehicles.  Just like I would drive the sport sedan
slower than the 4x4 on gravel or in the snow.  Ignorance is no excuse
under the laws of physics.

j. andrew rogers