[extropy-chat] Semco

David deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 22 14:46:42 UTC 2004

Adrian Tymes wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>>However, if someone had a reason for not performing
>>well then they generally got far more support than
>>they do in traditional environments too.
>

> A thought for consideration:
>
> "I can fix that person."
> versus
> "I can fix myself."
>
> The former seems more popular.  I'm not sure what all
> the reasons are, but at least part of it is that some
> people never consider the latter - and a small portion
> of one's thoughts is more than a zero portion.
> Indeed, merely considering the latter - for wide
> values of "fix" - seems to be one thing that
> transhumanists do, that sets them apart from most
> other people.  (This applies to both the action of
> thinking this thought itself, and the consequences.)

I agree with you that the former thought is more popular, and I think it
is probably because most people don't like to acknowledge faults in
themselves. It is easier to see faults in others.

However, I was originally referring to temporary losses of performance
being supported by team-mates, whereas in most other environments
support consists of warnings to "look busy 'cause the boss is coming".

Hmm. Another thought about fixing others - it may be that many things
that need "fixing" are not necessarily broken, but may be just
incompatibilities.
 From an objective point of view, neither solution may be preferable but
one or the other is necessary. Both points of view could be in the right
IF the other person would change to fit in.