[extropy-chat] Semco

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 22 16:41:18 UTC 2004

--- David <deimtee at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> However, I was originally referring to temporary
> losses of performance
> being supported by team-mates, whereas in most other
> environments
> support consists of warnings to "look busy 'cause
> the boss is coming".

Ah.  Although, would not permanent deficits - like
the honest lack of knowledge as to how to do a task -
also be supported?  "You don't know how to do this,
yet you must or we'll all suffer.  So let's all figure
out how your task can be done."

> Hmm. Another thought about fixing others - it may be
> that many things
> that need "fixing" are not necessarily broken, but
> may be just
> incompatibilities.

Many, certainly, but I wonder if this is or is not
the majority - as opposed to cases where things truly
are "broken", in this case defined as a condition
where the same or a similar problem would be faced no
matter who the "broken" person worked with (aside from
extreme cases, like those who would simply do that
person's job in order to negate the "malfunction").

The anecdotal evidence of my own career suggests that
most of the time, when difficulties erupt, it is
because people truly are "broken" in that manner,
although usually this can be taken care of through training.