[extropy-chat] The Simulation Argument

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Dec 2 11:02:03 UTC 2004

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:

>While I like the Simulation Argument a lot, I don't think we can make
>any probability statement.
>Once you demonstrate that "most minds will be in simulations rather
>than reality",  you have demonstrated that each mind is probably in a
>simulation, but I don't think we can demonstrate that.
>Perhaps posthumans will choose to use their precious computing cycles
>on other things (Nick's second possibility).

It may not take much computing power at all. It all depends on the level
of simulation.
If it's a Planck scale simulation of the entire universe, then you are
probably correct.
If it is limited to simulating one planet's surface and people at the
cellular level then maybe not. It's does not require much computing
power, for example, to descibe the interior of the earth to our present
level of understanding, nor the rest of the universe.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org