[extropy-chat] Re: The emergence of AI

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 4 22:23:46 UTC 2004

Brent Neal wrote:

> (12/3/04 11:21) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>--- Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:>
>>

>>>Maybe wrapping it in a fuzzy exterior will help, child robots and
>>>talking
>>>dogs: "Hello, I'm Rags, woof, woof".  But the reality is that people
>>>are going to be working side by side with these systems, and I think
>>>that is how they will base their conception of them as helpful or
>>>dangerous.
>>>

>>Yes. Creating personality modules that, at least, mimic a personality
>>that is non-threatening (teddy bear, sexy female, child's voice, etc)
>>is the key to limiting or preventing proscriptive regulation.
>>

>That is, until some enterprising hack^H^H^H^H movie producer releases a summer blockbuster about an AI trapped in a teddy bear's body that goes berserk, puts on a hockey mask, invades people's minds, and kills them all as part of a plot to destroy the Earth with "fricken lasers"

Isn't  this fun.
We are all observers in the primordial soup speculating about how life
will come about.
In doing so we learn more about our own selves and possible origins as well.
However let's hope the AI is not a reflection of its creators or better
yet lets hope it chooses it's
role models better than some of us humans do.
In reflecting about the rate of human development over the last 100,000
years it seems that the rate of and efficiency of communication is the
key driving factor.
The full convergence of all known technology and knowledge in an AI
which spans the entire globe to me marks the
point at which the singularity begins.
Yes there will be quite an exponential rate change, but I would expect
that novel constraints will emerge.
Allocation of resources to preserving a historical preserve/ living
museum stocked with modern humans
may be of  dubious value to an AI whose goal is to optimize resource use
to maximize its evolutionary rate.