[extropy-chat] Re:Resuscitation: and Armchair Cryonicists-hypothermic liferaft

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Dec 15 10:43:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 03:01:49AM -0600, Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. wrote:

> The concept goes thusly:
> The liferaft =
> -sleeping /body bag like sack made so that no 2 arms or legs touch each
> other or body
> -zipper + ziplock seal
> - control/RFID biomonitor keypad with on outside
> -stage 1- evacuate liner to ensure good skin contact with sack
> -person put inside without outer clothes , shoes etc
> -put cooling hood or cap over all of head less face, face cover ziplock
> cover after body cooled off
> -start in 2 parts; activation of emergency cooling packs layer of sack
> to quick cool body; hood cooling cycle

Useless. This gives you no advatage over an ice bath.

> co2 based for higher cooling rate

More than useless. You can't go below 0 C, or you'll get freezing injury.

> -infusion of adjuvants may include:
> Caffeinol as neuroprotectant; berberine in DMSO solution as
> neuroprotectant; cannabidiol in DMSO solution as neuroprotectant
> -optional defib cycle to pump neuroprotectants into cooling  body uniformly

You have to maintain the circulation. Best do achieve this is life support.

> The adjuvants are designed to allow the brain to survive a longer
> cool-off time than the usual 3-5 minutes.

Sorry, but your science is garbage. I'm being delibertely harsh here, because
otherwise you won't get the message.

> as well as allow for easier re-start of body by hospital medical team
> -once body temp is near 32F optional external hookups to maintain cooled
> body during extended transport
>
> Once the working prototype is designed and tested  , the actual mfg
> costs may be quite reasonable

If you have to live in the sticks, you have to rely on people. No machinery
is going to help.

> Morris Johnson
>
> Hara Ra wrote:
> >For Eugen:
> >
> >    Thanks for taking my point and clarifying it. If you read my sig
> >file, I don't think I am an "Armchair cryonicist". Please correct me
> >if you think so, and explain why.

Of course I wasn't commenting on what you wrote, but on periodical resurgence
of well-meaning-but-clueless armchair cryonicists.

> >PS We currently do no longer use the Thumper, which is an obscene
> >bastard of equipment fully capable of major injury to both patient and
> >rescue team. Respiratory support is no longer in the protocol, because

Oh yeah, if the cup breaks off you'll get a massive metal rod puncturing the
ribcage.

> >basically all patients are over the 4 minute limit, and restoring O2
> >is a bad idea. We use an Ambi product, a suction cup with handles, to

Not if you add neuroprotectants via IV push, and maintain artificial
circulation.