[extropy-chat] John Wright Finds God

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Wed Dec 15 20:24:30 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick wrote:

>> As for psi phenomena, there is plenty of experimental evidence.
>

> Granting this (as I do, to the horror of many extropes), there is no
> obvious link between that evidence and claims of the supernatural.

I tend to agree.
However, I think it is likely there is a link between psi phenonena and
altered states of consciousness.
Problem is that no really new and interesting experiments are being
done. For example, I'd like a PEAR-like machine to be coupled with
people on LSD to see what happens.

> Granting its validity for the sake of the discussion, psi evidence
> might suggest that, e.g., quantum entanglement *can* convey
> information under some circumstances, etc; what it doesn't do (unless
> a deity bafflingly likes to help willing subjects gain scores of 70%,
> at best, when 50% or 20% would be expected by chance) is manifest the
> activities of a divine designer/sustainer of our observable ontology.
> No more than lightning, however inexplicable at the time, proved the
> reality of a thundering storm god.

Well, Thor is still around and still has followers (me, for example).

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org