[extropy-chat] John John Perry Barlow vs The Man

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Dec 17 14:53:50 UTC 2004

Amara Graps wrote:

> "Apparently, Barlow did intend to suggest this. At least, he was
> prevented from introducing a lot of evidence about how screeners do
> things that are useful for finding drugs. At a minimum, Barlow wanted
> to suggest that screeners who are supposed to be looking for
> explosives should not be permitted to use search techniques or
> procedures that are specifically aimed at finding drugs rather than
> explosives (arguably, for example, shaking a bottle).

I would expect that in a proper search for explosives not only would
bottles be shaken, but bottles not sealed by the manufacturer would be
opened for cursory inspection. It is still extremely easy to smuggle
bombs aboard aircraft if the right explosive (liquid) is used. As for
batteries, detonators etc, can an X ray distinguishe between a detonator
and an electrolytic cap in a laptop?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-