[extropy-chat] John John Perry Barlow vs The Man

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 16:02:31 UTC 2004

State district courts are notoriously unconcerned with constitutional
issues and refuse quite often to rule on the constitutionality of
issues. When the facts 'clearly' show you did the act in question, the
constitutionality of the law, or the methods of law enforcement, are
rarely called into question, particularly when the defendant is arguing
pro se.

If you have good lawyers on your side, like Barlow apparently does, and
the money to burn in their use, as he also seems to have, the district
courts will rule against you if the prosecutors want them to if only to
make you waste as much money and time and inconvenience as possible. It
is purely for discouragements sake.

Don't think for a minute that the judges and prosecutors are not on the
same side. Few judges have not spent time as prosecutors and/or
campaigned for their positions (officially or unofficially) on a hard
anti-crime stance.

http://vitanuova.loyalty.org/weblog/nb.cgi/view/vitanuova/2004/12/16/1

> [...]
> keep
> > in mind that he had only seen the case file for the first time two
> > hours before, and that he was perhaps surprised by the explosion of
> > highly abstract civil liberties arguments, some of them likely
> matters
> > of first impression. I imagine that usually disputes in state trial
> > courts are a good deal more concrete!).
> >
> > "The judge mentioned that the penalty Barlow would face, if
> convicted,
> > would not be particularly severe, and seemed to express slightly
> > obliquely the view that it would be in Barlow's best interest to
> plead
> > guilty -- and that it was surprising that he hadn't done so, or
> would
> > be surprising if he didn't do so. (I think there's also a class
> issue
> > at work here. Most defendants can't afford to fight for principle
> and
> > can at the very best afford to look out for themselves, not for the
> > abstract rules by which the fourth amendment is brought to bear on
> > class of cases.)
> >
> > "The judge remarked that obviously it must not be the rule that
> > screeners have to ignore contraband when they find it. So the
> > question, he said, is whether they have a reason to look in the
> first
> > place; if they have a reason to look, then they can use their own
> > judgment -- and that's what Ms. Ramos did. When she shook the
> bottle
> > and opened it, that didn't indicate that she was looking for drugs;
> > perhaps she was stupid to do so, but being careless about one's own
> > safety is not sufficient to make a search unreasonable under the
> > fourth amendment. She used her own judgment about the nature of the
> > threats and the best way of investigating them, which is a
> reasonable
> > search. Hence Barlow's motion must be denied; his argument about
> > reasonableness, while founded on a commendable concern with
> privacy,
> > is too broad in its implications, because it would ultimately
> suggest
> > that screeners must ignore contraband they find.
> >
> > "Apparently, Barlow did intend to suggest this. At least, he was
> > prevented from introducing a lot of evidence about how screeners do
> > things that are useful for finding drugs. At a minimum, Barlow
> wanted
> > to suggest that screeners who are supposed to be looking for
> > explosives should not be permitted to use search techniques or
> > procedures that are specifically aimed at finding drugs rather than
> > explosives (arguably, for example, shaking a bottle).
> >

> > --
> >
> > Amara Graps, PhD
> > Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI)
> > Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica (INAF),
> > Adjunct Assistant Professor Astronomy, AUR,

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)