[extropy-chat] Aspirin, life-extension, and the current spate of pain-reliever problems

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Wed Dec 22 02:48:49 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick wrote:

> Here's a response to Dan's interesting suggestion from Steve Harris, MD:
>
> ==============
>
> COX-1 is the form of the enzyme found in all tissues. COX-2
> is the form which is induced by, and contributes to, acute
> inflammation, but otherwise is normally not active (except
> in uninflammed kidney and brain, for reasons not obvious).

[Snip]

Thanks, Damien.

extropy-chat is scary. In less than four hours, I received a highly
competent response to a theoretical question. I had of course attempted
to answer the question using Google before I asked the list.

What Steve is saying is that Aspirin iinhibits Cox-1 and Cox2 at the
same time. Users of Viaoxx and other Cox-1 inhibitors are losing
Aspirin's inhibitory effect on Cox-1. Inhibiting Cox-2 results in
reductions of inflammation, while inhibiting Cox-1 had other effects,
both "good" and "bad."

Steve, as a practicing MD, prescribes Aspirin to any patient taking
Viaoxx ( and for whom Aspirin is not counterindicated.) This says that
my hypothesis was pretty damn obvious to real-life practitioners.

The moral of this story is: don't inhibit Cox-2 unless you also inhibit
Cox-1.

Survey: how many extropians are taking Aspirin?