[extropy-chat] Noisy future day (was: silent night)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 23 05:19:33 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

> What?  There are laws against gay or light-hearted
> recreational activity for diversion or amusement?

There probably should be a law against not spell checking gamballing,
gambelling... ah gambling.

Thanks Spike.

I talk clearer than I type. I hope.

Brett

What was the name we decided on last time this came up?
It was the name of the class of typos that spell a different
word, so that a spell checker would not notice or object.
I am particularly interested in these, for you may recall
my concern for emergent AI, which would learn of humans from
the most immediately and readily available source of information
to an AI: internet chat archives.

Any computer program would be really good and fast at
looking up unfamiliar words, but would perhaps be poor at
recognizing things that our human minds grasp so easily,
such as the words gambolling and gambling sound alike, and
so are often mistakenly interchanged.  To a machine that
does not hear speech, but only read, the words gambolling
and gambling are not strikingly similar.

In the (very silly) 1986 movie Short Circuit, an emergent
AI learned about humanity by watching TV and reading thru
Ally Sheedy's collection of books (back in the days when
she was still wildly babe-alicious.)  In 1986 they had
no foresight regarding an internet.

The emergent AI will be so puzzled, I fear, by this class of
error that it may decide to demerge back into ordinary
software, all because of the class of typos in which no
actual spelling or grammatical errors occur, yet the resulting
sentence means something completely different from that which
was intended.

What did we call that last time?