[extropy-chat] Noisy future day (was: silent night)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 23 05:35:35 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

> What was the name we decided on last time this came up?

> It was the name of the class of typos that spell a different
> word, so that a spell checker would not notice or object.
> I am particularly interested in these, for you may recall
> my concern for emergent AI, which would learn of humans from
> the most immediately and readily available source of information
> to an AI: internet chat archives.

I do recall the conversation. Which I am glad of, as I forget lots
of stuff and its good to remember sometimes, but, also not so
glad of, because I'm making the same mistakes when I try and
type fast to keep conversational flows in something like real
time.

> Any computer program would be really good and fast at
> looking up unfamiliar words, but would perhaps be poor at
> recognizing things that our human minds grasp so easily,
> such as the words gambolling and gambling sound alike, and
> so are often mistakenly interchanged.  To a machine that
> does not hear speech, but only read, the words gambolling
> and gambling are not strikingly similar.
>
> In the (very silly) 1986 movie Short Circuit, an emergent
> AI learned about humanity by watching TV and reading thru
> Ally Sheedy's collection of books (back in the days when
> she was still wildly babe-alicious.)  In 1986 they had
> no foresight regarding an internet.
>
> The emergent AI will be so puzzled, I fear, by this class of
> error that it may decide to demerge back into ordinary
> software, all because of the class of typos in which no
> actual spelling or grammatical errors occur, yet the resulting
> sentence means something completely different from that which
> was intended.
>
> What did we call that last time?

Its a homophone, rather than a homonym? Same sound, (or nearly),
different spelling.

If I recall, last time I thought it was a homonym and Olga pointed
out it was a homophone. But I'm not certain.

Brett