[extropy-chat] will the sun rise?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 19:00:22 UTC 2004

At 11:01 AM 12/23/2004 -0500, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

>I do not believe AI can advance that far in 20 years.  I don't believe we
>will have the technology to disassemble the sun in 20 years.  I don't
>believe reproducing nanites or nanites that can survive the sun's heat
>will be developed in 20 years.  I don't believe a space ship capable of
>carrying such a project to the sun will be available in 20 years.  I don't
>believe humans will be rearranging planets and [stars] within 20 years.

I agree, but some of these elements can be reframed. We started by talking
about `the sun not rising'. Since the sun *never* rises (we just rotate
toward it), the proposition is already lost. More in keeping with the
spirit of ordinary usage, we could see the same effect if the *Earth* were
disassembled appropriately; that's more doable, but probably not in the
time frame proposed. But wait, who said anything about AIs and humans being
the only players? We have absolutely no way to estimate how soon we might
experience an intervention by extraterrestrials attracted here by old radio
signals. Who knows what tricks such advanced beings might play on us? Then
there's the whole simulation postulate... It gets hard to be entirely sure
that `the sun also rises'.

BTW: Could people *please* change subject lines as the topics wander?

Damien Broderick