[extropy-chat] DVD Recommendations?

duggerj1 at charter.net duggerj1 at charter.net
Wed Feb 11 14:21:26 UTC 2004

Wednesday, 11 February 2004

I enthusiastically second Eugen's Studio Ghibli recommendations. You can find most, but not all, of its work in English dubs. Avoid "Warriors of the Wind", the English dub that butchered Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind. Buy all the comics instead. The movie is crap; the graphic novel IMO counts as one of the top ten pieces of science fiction ever written.

See also the new Studio Ghibli movie, "The Cat Returns." I laughed all the way through this movie, something that rarely happens with intentional comedies. (If you don't like cats, you won't like this movie.) You might also find "Battle Royale" a very funny movie. I did, but the humor is very black.

Other worthy pieces of animation include the new Ghost in the Shell series and Neon Genesis Evangelion. I enjoyed Unforgiven and L.A. Confidential very much. Momento probably works better on DVD than as a movie. Pi is worth watching.

If you like horror, look for the original version of "Kingdom", not what's about to be televised. Try to find "The Resurrected". That's a faithful adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward."

You might also try to find the Russian version of Solaris. I haven't seen the recent remake, so I can't compare the two.

Jay Dugger     :     Til Eulenspiegel
http://www.owlmirror.net/Aduggerj/
Sometimes the delete key serves best.