[extropy-chat] gay marriage

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 05:51:35 UTC 2004

> Mike Lorrey
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] gay marriage
> > >
> > > As a side note, several of the Muslim protesters
> > > carried signs reading "Even the animals do not
> > > have same-sex relations."  Anyone who has been
> > > around animals enough knows that this is not true.
>
> Its a double edged meme. If you protest that animals do in fact have
> same sex relations, then they say the purpose of man is to rise above
> his animal instincts, or they attack you personally and ask how much
> time you spend watching animal sex tapes.  Mike Lorrey

Ja, well Im ok with that.  As it turns out, my observation
was not from a videotape but rather from two different
housepets, a dog and a cat, both female, that would mount
other females in an apparent attempt to mate.  I have heard
that bonobo females are well known to do each other, early
and often.  One of my college professors did a thesis on
gay seagulls, again promenent among females.

This leads me to the following speculation.  If humans were
perfectly free from all social pressures and the knowledge
of what is required for conception, perhaps homosexuality
would be more common in females than males.

My argument for gay marriage is based on none of this however.
As Shelly and I approach our 20th anniversary next month, I
declare without reserve that marriage is an institution that
has worked out so very well for me, bringing so much joy and
happiness into my own life.  Perhaps I give credit to the
institution which should go to my wife.  Be that as it may,
the sense of security and comfort that I have derived from my
own marriage is something I would never wish to deny any couple
who wanted to do likewise.