[extropy-chat] Stump bill - cryonics regulation

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 22 21:26:48 UTC 2004

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This bill is not what someone presented here.
> Someone claimed that it
> would ban storage of human bodies for more than 5
> years. This is not
> what this bill does. What it does is say you need to
> be licensed to do
> so.

And if said licenses are never granted to cryonics
agencies as a matter of unwritten but explicitly
spoken policy, such that it can not be challenged in
any court of law...

> The way this is worded, it sounds to me like the
> funeral industry sees
> big money in the cryonics market and wants in on it
> (and to kick Alcor
> out).

The way I've read the debate on it, the emphasis is
entirely on "kick Alcor out".  You're right, there
would be business potential in managing those funds -
but economics is not behind every human decision.