[extropy-chat] 14 Superfoods for long life?

Johnius Johnius at Genius.UCSD.edu
Wed Feb 25 01:50:04 UTC 2004

BillK wrote:
>SuperFoods Rx : Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life
>by Steven G. Pratt, Kathy Matthews

	Thanks for the info.  I know that Walford lists a table
	of the 100 best foods in one of his books (120 Year Diet?),
	and I think it includes most or all of these 14.  Dr. Sears
	has a similar list in his Zone Diet books, but his emphasis
	is on lean proteins, low-glycemic fruits/vegetables, & quality
	sources of mono-unsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids.

Re:
>Blueberries: The best food on the planet to preserve a young brain as
>we mature.

	I've heard elsewhere good things about these berries.
	Ditto bilberrys, and possibly acerolas.

>Broccoli: The best food on the planet to prevent cancer.

	I believe I've heard Life Extension Foundation confirm this.

>Oats: A sure-fire way to lower your cholesterol.

	These also have GLA, I believe, in high concentration.
	Good to have once a week or so.

>Wild salmon: A guaranteed way to lower your risk for cardiac-related death.

	Dr. Perricone recommends eating this fish every day.
	Dr. Sears suggests taking fish oil with meals not containing
	oily fish (e.g., salmon, sardines, mackerel).

>Soy: The only complete vegetarian source of protein.

	I've read that taking whole soy products is good, but that
	processed soy products, incomplete (e.g., tofu), have some
	undesirable effects.

>Spinach: The best food on the planet to prevent cataracts

	One caveat I've heard is that spinach has rather high
	oxalic acid, and this causes some undesirable effects
	(e.g., interferes with absorption of some nutrients).

>Tea -- green or black: The easiest and cheapest no-calorie way to
>avoid heart disease and cancer.

	Dr. Perricone is big on these teas, and is anti-coffee.
	It's possible that Yerbe Mate is also good in this regard,
	as well as African red bush & honey bush teas.

>Tomatoes: One of the easiest ways for men to avoid prostate cancer is
>the consumption of tomatoes and tomato-based products.

	I've heard this in many places.  Some people, unfortunately,
	have adverse reactions to solanaceous fruits/vegetables.

>Walnuts: Consuming walnuts is an easy, tasty way to lower your risk of
>cardiovascular disease.
>Yogurt: A tasty, easy way to boost your immune system.

	These are good, unless you have a tendency towards Migraine
	or are lactose-intolerant.  Migraine patients are advised
	to avoid nuts, ripened cheeses, and to reduce/avoid yogurt,
	fermented products, etc.

>Anybody else heard about this diet change?

	This particular one is new to me, but I've seen similar
	advice from other nutritionists/dieticians.  In general,
	such foods are great, but as noted, individuals might have
	special intolerances with some of these foods.  Perhaps
	adequate substitutes are listed in the book for all of
	them.

	Thanks again, Johnius