[extropy-chat] 14 Superfoods for long life?

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 21:48:35 UTC 2004

On Tue Feb 24, 2004 06:50 pm Johnius wrote:
> In general, such foods are great, but as noted, individuals might have
> special intolerances with some of these foods. Perhaps
> adequate substitutes are listed in the book for all of them.

Since I posted the original list, I've done some more searching and
found more data plus some examples of the alternatives quoted from the book.

As you mentioned, some individuals are lactose intolerant, just as some
are allergic to peanuts, some are allergic to tomatoes and apparently
some people are allergic to soy.
But this list is not one of those strict diets that must be followed
like a religion. You will get the benefits of eating these foods even if
you manage to squeeze some rubbish in as well.  ;)

· Beans –
Also try: green beans, sugar snap peas, green peas, chickpeas
What they've got: low-fat protein, fiber, B vitamins, iron, folate,
potassium, magnesium

· Blueberries –
Also try: cranberries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, currants,
purple grapes
What they've got: fiber, folate, vitamins C and E, potassium, magnesium,
iron, riboflavin, niacin, phytoestrogen, few calories.

· Broccoli –
Also try: Brussels sprouts, cabbage (red and green), cauliflower, bok
choy, kale
What it's got: folate, fiber, calcium, vitamins C and K, beta-carotene

· Oats –
Also try: wheat germ, brown rice, barley, wheat, buckwheat, rye, millet,
quinoa
What they've got: high fiber, few calories, protein, magnesium,
potassium, zinc, copper, selenium, thiamine

· Oranges –
Also try: lemons, grapefruit, kumquats, tangerines, limes
What they've got: vitamin C, fiber, folate, potassium, pectin

· Pumpkin –
Also try: carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, orange bell peppers
What it's got: alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, high fiber, few calories,
vitamins C and E, potassium, magnesium

· Wild Salmon -
Also try: Alaskan halibut, canned albacore tuna, sardine, herring,
trout, sea bass, clams
What it's got: omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins B and D, selenium,
potassium, protein

· Soy –
Also try: tofu, soymilk, soy nuts, edamame, miso
What it's got: omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, potassium, folate,
magnesium, selenium

· Spinach –
Also try: other dark leafy greens, kale, collards, Swiss chard, bok
choy, romaine lettuce, mustard and turnip greens or orange bell peppers.
What it's got: beta-carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins C and E,
thiamine, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc

· Tea – Green or black:
What it's got: flavonoids, fluoride, no calories

· Tomatoes –
Lycopene, the red pigment in tomatoes, is also found in pink
grapefruit, watermelon, persimmons and some types of papaya.
What they've got: lycopene, few calories, alpha- and beta-carotene,
vitamin C, potassium, chromium, fiber

· Turkey –
Also try: skinless chicken breast
What it's got: low-fat protein, niacin, vitamins B6 and B12, iron,
selenium, zinc

· Walnuts –
Also try: almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds, peanuts, pumpkin and
sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews
What they've got: omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins E and B6, magnesium,
protein, fiber, potassium

· Yogurt –
Also try: kefir
What it's got: live active cultures, calcium, vitamins B2 and B12,
potassium, magnesium, zinc

The book also insists that exercise is necessary for good health.
But simply eating right won't guarantee good health and longevity, he
says. You have to exercise, too. According to the book's "lifestyle
pyramid," the linchpin of good health includes 30 to 60 minutes a day of
aerobic exercise and weight training two to three times a week.

BillK