[extropy-chat] Re: White House To Seek Ban On Gay Sex On The Moon

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 28 18:36:59 UTC 2004

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The only solution that would satisfy both sides
> would be to get
> government out of marriage entirely. No more
> marriage licenses, it is
> merely a private contract of partnership witnessed
> by your minister or
> your lawyer(s). This is the libertarian solution.

This, with the addendum of a "civil partners" contract
that does qualify for the government benefits (and, in
some cases, penalties) currently associated with
marriage, is what I've been saying.  Effectively, it
substitutes "civil partners" for "marriage", defining
"marriage" as a religious institution that the
government may not be involved in.