[extropy-chat] Re: Marriage (Was: White House...)

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Feb 28 22:44:38 UTC 2004

At 03:22 PM 2/28/2004 +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

>In summary, I find Card's essay intellectually dishonest, off topic,
>and short of reasoned argument, and I'm sorry I spent the time
>reading it.

Card's arguments remind me of S. I. Hayakawa essays I read recently, that
argue the evolutionary value of monogamy and marriage. The position of
both, and Heinlein, is that the most fundamental obligation of a society is
to encourage and protect the cycle of creation, nurturing, and transition
to competent adult status of children, in order to continue.

(Heinlein: "All societies are based on rules to protect pregnant women and
young children. All else is surplusage, excrescence, adornment, luxury, or
folly which can -- and must -- be dumped in emergency to preserve this
prime function. As racial survival is the only universal morality, no other
basic is possible.")

While Heinlein prefers an expansive definition of marriage, all three argue
that marriage does and should exist primarily as a framework for the sake
of children; any benefits to the spouses involved are incidental.

It seems to me that this role for marriage belongs in the region of
distinction between limited-government libertarianism and
anarcho-capitalism, along with public schools, defense, and pollution control.

An anarchist solution is that marriage is a private contract between two or
more competent individuals. If various individuals believe that some form
of marriage is (is not) beneficial, they are free to advocate for (against)
it, or to provide incentives (disincentives) for those who engage in it.

(In Israel, the Jewish Agency, nominally a private organization, wants to
encourage Jewish population growth. They provide assistance for individuals
and families that move there and cash gifts to Jewish mothers in Israel
upon the birth of each child.)

A consistent libertarian view, however, would be that the definition,
mechanism, and benefits of state-sponsored marital contracts be limited to
core commons goals, akin to limiting defense functions to direct protection
of the national territory.

In either perspective, and perhaps for liberals and social conservatives,
there's a benefit to offering a menu of marital contracts. One of the
problems with the current system is that you either get married or you don't.

If you do, you've agreed to a fixed set of obligations and benefits.

If you don't, the courts will still hold you to certain obligations. Some
-- but not all -- of the fixed marital benefits, such as medical power of
attorney or inheritance, can be voluntarily acquired, but the process for
doing so is unnecessarily complicated.

One benefit which cannot be acquired without marriage, which I've yet to
hear mentioned in the national debate, is spousal privilege in criminal
proceedings. (For an anarchist, of course, availability of spousal
privilege would simply be a distinction between PPL offerings.)

-- David Lubkin.