[extropy-chat] Simulation Argument critique (was fermi'sparadox:m/d approach)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 20:01:49 UTC 2004

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:

> But their 'real universe' may (for example) be a truly continuum one
> with infinite computing power.
> In which case we are comparing degrees of infinity.

Depends on what you mean by infinity. If U-Prime has any sort of speed
of light limitation, then it is limited to a section of its universe
bounded by their light cone. While there may be exemptions, or no
limits at all, there must be some mechanism to muffle instant heat
death which is what c does, but this is assuming that such a universe
has something like nuclear fusion to begin with.

Here are some proposed laws of simulated universes:

1) it is easier (less programming and processing) to simulate fewer and
less complex physical laws than more and more complex physical laws.
2) as universes mature and increase in extropy, the laws bounding them
will increase in complexity and quantity as more programming and
processing is dedicated to such universes.
3) the observational results in any given universe of insufficient
programming and/or processing are indistinguishable from magic.

The results of these proposed rules are:

a) younger universes will appear to be more 'magical'
b) older universes will have greater physical limitations and will
become more technological.
c) like high traffic internet sites, universes with increasing age and
popularity will require increasing amounts of programming and
processing to maintain increasing user value and to prevent the veil of
artificiality from becoming punctured.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark