[extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 05:22:05 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote,
> > Contradiction: killing humans who would otherwise prevent
> > others from gaining access to radical life extension
> > technology, to such a degree as to cause death. Is it wrong
> > to kill such humans or not?
>
> I think this is obviously wrong.  This is a classic example of
> choosing the lesser of two evils.  Both choices are evil.
> Choosing the lesser evil is still evil.  I think it confuses the
> issue to compare them and say that the
> lesser evil is "good" compared to the worse evil.  I think it makes
> more sense to clearly state that they are both evil.

So, you are dying of a disease. I use the law to prevent you from
obtaining the treatment you need to live. You WILL die, if you don't
get this treatment. Are you justified in using ANY means to prevent my
actions or not?

Others have already died from my actions, so it is demonstrably true
that you will die as well if I am not stopped. At what point is any
action against me acceptable in defense of your life? Why is this not
plain and simple and morally acceptable self defense on your part?

Self defense is not evil. Why is this not self defense?

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey