[extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sun Jan 4 19:41:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:22:05 -0800 (PST)
Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, you are dying of a disease. I use the law to prevent you from
> obtaining the treatment you need to live. You WILL die, if you don't
> get this treatment. Are you justified in using ANY means to prevent my
> actions or not?

I am justified in using any means not worse than the existing situation that have a likelihood of working.  Killing you in the above scenario will not chance the law although it would satisfy an urge to revenge.

> Others have already died from my actions, so it is demonstrably true
> that you will die as well if I am not stopped. At what point is any
> action against me acceptable in defense of your life? Why is this not
> plain and simple and morally acceptable self defense on your part?

The most likely good action is to expose your evil and remove you from any position where you can do much harm until (hopefully) you learn better.  Killing you is not the first alternative, it is the last and only then if it will actually improve the situations you have perpetuated.

> Self defense is not evil. Why is this not self defense?

Self defense can take many forms.  Some forms are more than what is necessary for rational defense.

- samantha