[extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality

Sun Jan 4 20:46:40 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote,
> So, you are dying of a disease. I use the law to prevent you
> from obtaining the treatment you need to live. You WILL die,
> if you don't get this treatment. Are you justified in using
> ANY means to prevent my actions or not?

I will obtain treatment for myself even if it is illegal.  No action against
the luddites who brought about the law is necessary.

> Others have already died from my actions, so it is
> demonstrably true that you will die as well if I am not
> stopped. At what point is any action against me acceptable in
> defense of your life? Why is this not plain and simple and
> morally acceptable self defense on your part?

Self defense is hiding from the authorities, getting treatment anyway,
lobbying to get the law changed, etc.  Killing the person who championed the
law won't change the law.  Killing congress members until I get my way is
called terrorism and probably won't get me justice.  Killing the police
person coming to get me won't lessen the resources allocated to capture me.
I really don't see how killing people trying to enforce this law helps me
get my treatment in any way.  This is a poor example of having to choose the
lesser of two evils, because my goal is not directly served by harming
anyone.

> Self defense is not evil. Why is this not self defense?

People with guns often confuse killing someone with self-defense.  Killing
is an offensive act.  It only protects you if you have a lone assailant and
you can wipe out the entire opposing team in one shot.  I do not believe
killing a police officer, congress member, or luddite will help.  You will
make them a martyr, and more will join their cause to fight you.  I see no
net gain, only net losses, in using violence under this scenario.  That is
why I am opposed, not for mere political reasons, but for more pragmatic
reasons that I don't think this "solution" solves anything.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,