[extropy-chat] Simulation Argument critique (wasfermi'sparadox:m/d approach)

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sun Jan 4 19:02:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:39:17 -0500
"Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

> Samantha Atkins wrote,
> > There are many things in science
> > today that were not observed but were posited as "might be"
> > explanations or even as pure thought experiments.  A "might
> > be" does not relegate its content to belonging to religion.
> > I am surprised by the characterization.
>
> That doesn't make it science.  If anyone ever develops a scientific theory,
> scientific proof, scientific investigation, scientific explanation or
> anything using the scientific method relating to the Simulation Argument,
> then it might become science.  Right now it is a religious belief, a fantasy
> story or maybe even a philosophical musing.  It seems that most people here
> don't have a good definition for what is science or not.  Arguing that it
> "might be true" or "hasn't been disproved" doesn't make it science any more
> than "Creation Science" is science.

It is mere assertion to claim the simulation notion is a religious belief.  Currently I consider it an intelliectual curiousity that certain types of (mainly statiscal and future assumptive) arguments lend some possibility to.  I don't know if it can be scientifically tested at some future time or not or if rigourous scientific evidence will ever become available for it.  I certainly don't find the current supporting argument compelling enough to believe it is true.  But I think calling it "religious" is sloppy, prejudicial and uninteresting.

> The simulation argument is almost identical to the creation science
> argument.  Instead of evolving by itself, the universe was created
> mid-stream with history already in place, and an external entity directing
> its actions.  We cannot detect that the history of carbon-dating or old
> light from other stars was simulated by God instead of really coming from
> those stars.  This makes much of the Creation Science universe a simulation.
> The intervention by God sometimes is like tweaking of the simulation.

Analagous reasoning is supposed to be more firmly "scientific".  Come now.  Why are we wasting our precious time bickering over something so small?   Sure, sure in a sim you can set up whatever you wish within the limits of some level of self-consistency.  But that by itself does not argue we are not in a sim or argue that even considering the possibility of being in a sim is itself "religious".

> I don't see how anybody can believe in the simulation argument without
> believing in most religions.  I don't see how anybody can claim the
> simulation argument is science without including most religions as science.

I will grant you that the simulation argument is the only way I could consider many religious notions as remotely corresponding to reality.  But that doesn't make the simulation idea or considering it itself "religious".

- samantha