[extropy-chat] Lifeline Nutraceuticals and Ceremedix news

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Wed Jan 7 19:29:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> See:
> http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/ETD/Available/etd-0429103-132144/.

Though I have not reviewed the imminst discussions, reviewing the
above brings to mind a number of questions.
a) *What* SOD is being upregulated -- there are 3?
b) Are their immunoblot tests which generally require antibodies
   selective for one of the 3 SODs?
c) How does one know that the upregulation of SODs is not a
   cellular response to a pro-oxidative response to the peptides
   involved?  (I.e. the peptides may activate cellular systems
   that generate oxidative stress and the cells respond by
   increasing SOD production -- in which case one is dealing
   with a double edged sword that may harm as much as it helps.)

And I'll note that the peptides were delivered i.v. (direct
injection into the bloodstream) which by definition are *not*
nutraceuticals which presumably must be eaten.  If the
substances are peptides to be delivered i.v. then they would
be considered drugs and have to go through the normal FDA
drug approval process.

Robert