[extropy-chat] `Cold virus kills skin cancer'

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 11 06:39:53 UTC 2004

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/07/1073268077576.html?from=storyrh

The virus that causes the common cold can kill skin cancer cells, NSW
researchers have discovered.

The University of Newcastle team describe their discovery as a breakthrough
in the treatment of malignant melanoma, Australia's fifth most common
cancer.

"The results we have had using human cells and also in animal studies have
been very exciting," lead scientist Professor Darren Shafren said.

"If we can replicate that success in human trials, the treatment of this
often fatal disease could be available within the next few years."

[...]
In human trials, the cold virus, the coxsackievirus, will be injected into
the site of the melanoma.

Once it starts to replicate itself, Prof Shafren said it is expected to
start killing off the melanoma.

Within weeks, the cancer should start shrinking and eventually disappear.
[etc]