[extropy-chat] i-language again

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 11 07:52:32 UTC 2004

:
> David Lubkin...
>My favorite deskside dictionary (Random House College), by the way,
>considers "up" to be an adverb, preposition, adjective, noun, and verb
>(both transitive and intransitive). "Out " is cited as all those plus
>interjection. -- David Lubkin.

Well done!

Nowthen, at the risk of boring my fellow extropes, do allow
me to propose a variation on a theme on which I have posted
in the past.

I propose an international language of sorts, or rather an
international language structure.  This language would be
different in each nation, for each speaker would insert
her own words into a standardized structure.  A standard
list of nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc would be derived.
Then any speaker of any language would assign words from
her own language to correspond with each word in the list.
Then any language could be very simply translated into
any other.  Even an intelligent computer could grok.

However:

The ambiguity, subtlety and beauty of language expressed
would disappear, if ideas were to be expressed in this
international form.  So this international form would not
be used in poetry or in the seduction of one's mate, but
rather for internation transactions and science only.

Then one might, with some difficulty, understand and
express oneself in this de-ambiguouized language without
having to memorize a long list of new words.  If this
idea is carried out correctly, a passage could be
translated from I-english, into I-French, into I-German
into I-TannuTuvan into I-english and the original
passage would be identical to the original.