[extropy-chat] i-language again

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sun Jan 11 18:16:34 UTC 2004

At 11:52 PM 1/10/2004 -0800, Spike wrote:

>I propose an international language of sorts, or rather an
>international language structure.  This language would be
>different in each nation, for each speaker would insert
>her own words into a standardized structure.  A standard
>list of nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc would be derived.
>Then any speaker of any language would assign words from
>her own language to correspond with each word in the list.
>Then any language could be very simply translated into
>any other.  Even an intelligent computer could grok.

This is being worked on already. People are building public domain and
private directories of word senses, and mapping them between languages. The
best known effort is probably Global WordNet, at

         http://www.globalwordnet.org/

An English chunk of this is WordNet, at

         http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/

>Overview for "spike"
>
>The noun "spike" has 9 senses in WordNet.
>
>1. spike -- (a transient variation in voltage or current)
>2. spike -- (sports equipment consisting of a sharp point on the sole of a
>shoe worn by athletes; "spikes provide greater traction")
>3. ear, spike, capitulum -- (fruiting spike of a cereal plant especially corn)
>4. spike -- ((botany) an indeterminate inflorescence bearing sessile
>flowers on an unbranched axis)
>5. spike -- (a sharp rise followed by a sharp decline; "the seismograph
>showed a sharp spike in response to the temblor")
>6. spike -- (a sharp-pointed projection along the top of a fence or wall)
>7. spike -- (a long sharp-pointed implement (wood or metal))
>8. spike -- (any holding device consisting of a long sharp-pointed object)
>9. spike -- (a long metal nail)
>
>The verb "spike" has 6 senses in WordNet.
>
>1. spike -- (stand in the way of)
>2. transfix, impale, empale, spike -- (pierce with a sharp stake or point;
>"impale a shrimp on a skewer")
>3. spike -- (secure with spikes)
>4. spike, spike out -- (bring forth a spike or spikes; "my hyacinths and
>orchids are spiking now")
>5. spike, lace, fortify -- (add alcohol beverages)
>6. spike -- (manifest a sharp increase; "the voltage spiked")

-- David Lubkin.