[extropy-chat] Fw: Deconstruction deconstructed....

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 00:17:27 UTC 2004

From: "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 11:41 PM

> This person that you think has interests in other fields attended a
> conference that was "an aggressively interdisciplinary gathering, drawing
> from fields as diverse as computer science, literary criticism,
engineering,
> history, philosophy, anthropology, psychology, and political science" and
> finds it incomprehensible, saying "The things they said were largely
> incomprehensible."  This lead me to conclude that the author was not
> interested or familiar with most of the fields he listed.

Not necessarily so. Imagine yourself stumbling upon just such a colloquium
under the auspices of Scientology clears, Thomist or Kabbalist theologians,
Moonies, Jain logicians, or devotees of Born Again glossolalia. There would
be insights available, because these people, by hypothesis, are not
*stupid*, but the bogosity meter would run red-hot (except maybe for the
Jainists).

Damien Broderick
[and yes, I have a PhD in the discursive field in question]