EDU: Public Schools (Was: Re: [extropy-chat] Game theory ofcommoncold)

Mon Jan 19 22:14:53 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote,
> > I have never heard of this.  Does that mean gay homeowners can get
> > special tax breaks for not having children?  :-)
>
> Sorry, I meant to say seniors who have no minor children...

Drat!  :-)

Actually, I don't mind paying high property taxes for schools.  As
inefficient as the schools are, I think my dollars are better spent
educating youth so they can hold jobs rather than paying police to protect
my property from youth who can't get jobs.

My property taxes are around $1000 per year.  The value of my home is going
up much more than $1000 per year.  My home is gaining value because of
community growth, a nearby mall, new school construction, etc.

As far as I am concerned, I am taking money from the community rather than
the community taking money from me.  I don't mind giving a little of it
back.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,