[extropy-chat] Re: Gay non-parenting (Was: something else)

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Jan 20 00:25:59 UTC 2004

Harvey Newstrom wrote:

 > I have never heard of this.  Does that mean gay homeowners can get
 > special tax breaks for not having children?  :-)

Smiley aside, your remark seems premised on the idea that gay homeowners
are likely to not have children, or much less likely than non-gay homeowners.

Is this true?

Naively, I'd suppose that home ownership and raising children are both
indicators of adherence to convention, and correlate with each other.
Although I'd expect a higher percentage of gays owning homes than raising
children, if only because there are more impediments for gays here and now
to the latter than the former.

I would predict the cohort with the lowest fraction of minor children in
their household would be gay non-homeowners and the highest fraction would
be non-gay homeowners. I'm not sure which would be higher, gay homeowners
or non-gay non-homeowners.

-- David Lubkin.