[extropy-chat] Meta:searching list archives

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Jan 20 07:40:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> the search engine sucks.
>
> --- Russell Evermore <nanowave at shaw.ca> wrote:
> > OK, I want to search all of the extropians and extropy-chat archives
> > (subject headers and message texts) going back five or more years for
> > one  single and EXTREMELY important word. I want to enter that word one
> > time into > > one text box and then click "search".

Mike/Russell/Harvey -- I believe if you are searching the archives
(at lucifer?) you will have problems.  I believe that Dave told me
a while ago that there seems to be some limit with respect to how
far back in time the search indexes will go.  This is presumably
a bug.

I have however had fairly good luck with the Javien Forum search
engine.  I would suggest you try that.  Just go to forum.javien.com
and select a topic and select the <search> option in the upper
right hand corner.

If you have problems with that please send me an offlist note.

Robert