[extropy-chat] Meta:searching list archives

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 17:41:11 UTC 2004

The Javien engine does not search list archives (pre-2003 I don't think
is even present anymore). It is impossible for us to find discussions
more than a year ago, which is pretty sad. Suggest either lucifer gets
fixed or we find some other means (perhaps an Atomz engine?)

--- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > the search engine sucks.
> >
> > --- Russell Evermore <nanowave at shaw.ca> wrote:
> > > OK, I want to search all of the extropians and extropy-chat
> archives
> > > (subject headers and message texts) going back five or more years
> for
> > > one  single and EXTREMELY important word. I want to enter that
> word one
> > > time into > > one text box and then click "search".
>
> Mike/Russell/Harvey -- I believe if you are searching the archives
> (at lucifer?) you will have problems.  I believe that Dave told me
> a while ago that there seems to be some limit with respect to how
> far back in time the search indexes will go.  This is presumably
> a bug.
>
> I have however had fairly good luck with the Javien Forum search
> engine.  I would suggest you try that.  Just go to forum.javien.com
> and select a topic and select the <search> option in the upper
> right hand corner.
>
> If you have problems with that please send me an offlist note.
>
> Robert

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark