[extropy-chat] Self-Enhncmnt: data acquisition at high speed

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 22 01:16:07 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> Now with software of this nature one begins to ask if this could be
> used to "compress" education times (either in children who still
> have extremely plastic brains or adults in college)?
>
> But in any case it looks to me like the methods and perhaps even the
> tools may exist for Harvey to get twice as much news in 1/2 to 1/3
> the time or 2-3x the news in the same amount of time.

   Time compression is a great thing.  Many computer-based DVD player software
(like WinDVD) allows you to time-compress movies (play them at much higher
rates, with the sound still audible.)  Lots of movies can stand this
treatment, and you whiz through in less time than you'd want to waste otherwise.

   I got a TiVo recently and, although it doesn't really have time compression
 natively (that is, it can't play back sound while playing faster as some
other models of Digital Video Recorders do,) you can set it at 3x playback
speed and the closed captioning still works.  You can compress your viewing
time significantly for many types of programs, and not miss much.  A wonderful
feature--if only it could be applied to the usual business meeting.

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself