[extropy-chat] Self-Enhncmnt: data acquisition at high speed

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Fri Jan 23 06:14:48 UTC 2004

I discussed my reading speed, and observed that

Samantha Atkins wrote:

>It hasn't much to do with IQ except when reading material that requires a
>bit faster intellectual uptake.

Well, seems to me that's trivially wrong, since if you have two people
otherwise identical with different reading speeds for the same degree of
comprehension, the faster reader will have learned more, and will
consequently have a higher IQ test score.

Also, I complete tasks requiring analysis or pattern recognition very
rapidly, which increases one's score on some IQ tests, and perceive that
I'm using much the same "mental muscles" as when I'm reading.

> > I peak at a little over a second a page, or around 12,000 wpm. It's too
> > exhausting to continue for long, and no fun, but useful in a pinch. My
> > sustainable rate is still quite high though. ...
>
>At what kind of material do you get these speeds?  To sustain that over
>even technical material would afaik require a near photographic memory or
>a high level of training.  What training have you had?  Is this just
>natural for you?

The highest speeds are for ordinary fiction and non-fiction, and easier
technical material. Difficult material definitely slows me down. I have had
no training. I'm not sure how it developed over time. I was not a
particularly early reader; I learned just before first grade. I have never
subvocalized or had any of the other faults that would interfere with
reading speed.

My skill may be related to the age-limitations on language fluencies -- in
the non-English languages I speak, I can speak as rapidly as in English and
I can dream in them, but I read slowly, word-at-a-time. (What are other
people's experiences with reading in non-native languages?)

The first English data point was at eight, in fourth grade, when I clocked
at 1200 wpm on non-fiction. High speed is line-at-a-time, peak speed is
essentially paragraph-at-a-time. High speeds are very sensitive to
typographic issues, such as font and column width.

It seems to me to be largely a question of pathways and neurotransmitters;
I'm rich in some and sadly deficient in others. We can discuss the
deficiencies another day :-).

Every once in a while, I get a fresh insight into underlying biology. For
instance, I love women singing soprano and violins, and was amused to
discover that my hearing is most acute in that frequency range.

-- David Lubkin.